Sunday, January 23, 2011

Steps Foward

Only 23 days into the new year and already so much has happened here, in the store and in our community! The new owners of Webster's Pharmacy were announced, the Town Council has approved a farmer's market in Loma Alta Park, and another farmer's market appeared at Sacred Heart Church on Lincoln appeared (and folded just as fast). The Altadena Urban Farmers Market had its first rain-free event last Sunday, and Scott and I are really enjoying the tasty Altadena Jacaranda honey we purchased. We joined the Arroyo Food Co-op as well and are anticipating helping them reach their goals. The California Gift Show started this last Tuesday, so life has been a blur of driving, shopping for the store, driving some more, trying to take care of the store's accounting duties and then - guess what? You got it....driving some more! I like being busy, but I have to admit that it's been a challenging couple three weeks.

I'm very excited that Altadena is moving forward, however clumsily, toward a more sustainable alternative to our regular markets. I'm also very excited about what will be happening at Webster's Pharmacy. We both look forward to working with Micahel and Meredith Miller, the new owners, as they point the store in a more positive direction. We sincerely hope that the renovation they're planning will finally break down the barriers that have stood between the store and the community since Bill Webster retired. Much of our energy will be spent in the coming months making sure this comes about.

Have a great week ahead, my friends....we'll talk more next week!

Lori & Scott

2 comments:

Cafe Pasadena said...

I wood think ADena could support 2 farmers mkts.

I don't mind being busy, but do mind too much driving. Thk God here in Pasadena I don't really have to drive much! It's such a waste of timers, for starters.

Unknown said...

Agreed, Mike. Sometimes driving is a necessity, though. You're lucky you don't have to do it much.

I'd think with 46,000+ people in Altadena, two farmers markets would serve better than one. Apparently, the County shut this one down. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of what happened.