Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Love a Local Business" Hits a Rock Wall And Other Stories

Last post, I told you about Intuit's "Love a Local Business" competition. I asked if you'd vote for us and tell Intuit why you loved us and your response was fantastic! I want to sincerely thank all of you that voted. We got over 65 votes, and for just three weeks of running, is pretty impressive. We didn't win, though....the winning business was a rock wall climbing place in another state with over 1,200 votes. That's a whole lotta rock climbing going on and a whole lotta votes for a small business! Kudos to them, and WFS will try again next year.

I'd like to share some of the wonderful endorsements we received from the contest, but first let me tell you about some exciting news and some ideas we've got running through our heads.

Since I joined the Board of Directors of the Altadena Chamber of Commerce, they've asked me to write a monthly newsletter for them. I'm honored that they'd ask me to write it, I hope I can do a good job for them!

You've probably already heard about the Pasadena Playhouse being shut down. We are wondering about different avenues we could take to aid fundraising efforts for them. There is a Facebook group for just that purpose, which can be found by clicking on the title of this blogpost, but what could WFS do? We're thinking about putting something together with some of the Playhouse's luminaries and donating a portion of net sales, but I'm open to suggestions.

There are great new products in the store and more arriving almost daily! Valentine's Day is almost here, and we're here to help you get ready if you're not already. Fabulous cards (most made right here in the U.S.!), gourmet chocolate fudge truffles made locally, darling Valentine themed boxes and gifts, gorgeous fair-trade jewelry, scarves and bags, even fabulous office accessories....what's not to love about Valentine's Day at WFS? We hope to see you soon and we'll leave you with a few of those lovely comments about us posted on the "Love a Local Business" site!

----Lori

"This is a fun store with a great selection of supplies for the serious and not-so-serious writer. I bought a superb Monteverde pen that I know will be in daily use for many more years. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful! Great store!
doug (01.31.10)"

"I've been coming to Webster's since I was very young, and I love all of the positive changes!"
Kim (01.25.10)

"Great store and I love how their staff is aware of "good" customer service."
Ben (01.25.10)

"Long time family business. Unique collection of stationary products. Friendly staff. Special orders of small lots for specific customer requests."
Mike Holland (01.25.10)

"From the friendly, personal service to the really cool handmade items, Webster's is my favorite shop in Altadena. In a very tough economy, competing with the big box stores, Webster's does it right!"
JillM

No comments: