Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Little History and an Explanation

We're so excited about this blog! I have so many friends who've created some awesome blogs in the past few months (I'll link them just as soon as I figure this all out) and I've felt seriously out of the loop due to my lack of one.....now we can join the cadre.

Let me give you some background on our store. Back in 1923, Scott's grandad founded Webster's, a pharmacy located on North Lake Ave. in beautiful Altadena, CA. Back then, Henry Ford used to test his cars in the street in front of the store, a trolley system brought people to the area and Market Basket's first store was across the street. There's a lot of history packed into this neighborhood....along with some gorgeous examples of architecture, residential and commercial. Grandad (Harold "Frank" Webster) passed away when my father-in-law, William Webster, was 19 and Bill ran it from then on, taking time out only for military service. Though the years, Bill expanded and the little pharmacy became a complex of interconnected stores.....the pharmacy, a liquor store, a stationery and office products store, a Hallmark Gold Crown, a video rental store, a scrapbooking store and a UPS/FedEx authorized shipping outlet all had a home here. The video store couldn't take the competition from on-line outfits such as NetFlix, so that's gone now. The scrapbooking store was moved into the Hallmark store and shipping moved down to the Stationery store.....all in preparation for Bill's retirement. To facilitate this, two of the stores were sold to family members.....Scott and I were lucky enough to be able and willing to buy the Stationery store this past October.

Taking on an existing store, let alone one with this much history attached to it, is a daunting task. Making changes when people are used to it being a certain way is also an uphill battle, as we learn daily. Our challenge was this: create a "new" look without seriously changing the product mix and bring in new items that freshen and uplift the store's image. Early on this past summer, before we took ownership, the two stores at the south end of the complex....the Stationery and Hallmark stores....were separated by new walls between them. No formal explanation was given to the store's customers and for that we're heartily sorry. In retrospect, had the store let people know what was going on, there wouldn't have been such a resistance to the changes. By this blog, I hope to rectify this lack of communication and let everyone know what lies in store (ha ha) for Webster's Fine Stationers. Check back with us soon as we continue our story......

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Let me the first to welcome you to blogland! Love your color scheme and layout! I recall conversing with you about plans for the store at the inception of all this, and knew then you'd hit the sweet spot zeroing in on the papers and decorating niche, which is really huge around here! I still think you are spot-on with your vision! I'll add your blog to my list, if that's ok! Best to you and Scott- you ARE a great team!

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Let me be the 2nd - lol! (I don't mind being #2 to Mo's #1 since I'm a card-carrying member of her admiration society.) Congratulations on the growth and progress in the store. It will be great to read about the goings on here. I'm so so so happy for you. You've wanted to be able express a vision that you knew would be successful, and despite some initial rockiness, here you are, living the dream! Hugs to you and your Scott.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Lori!!!
(((hugs)))
I'm thrilled that your talented self has entered Blogland!
I'm adding your blog now to my Blog Candy roll! I'll be back...
Oh - everything is looking wonderful at your store!

xo,
Kim
Daisy Cottage

Unknown said...

Thanks, my friends....I'm tickled you stopped by!

PAT said...

Hi Lori, your banner photo makes me want to come on out there and buy those MCG pieces!!

I knew you were doing great things in the new store and you will continue doing great things!

Welcome to the land of blog. I'm adding you to my Back Porch Friends!

Pat

dec0r8or said...

Yay, Lori! Welcome to blogland. It can be a time-sucking black hole, so get ready! Hee! I love the store...it looks really great. And don't let the nay-sayers get you down. It's their aversion to change, NOT their aversion to the store, that is causing them stress. You RAWK! Hi Scott! :)

Bonnieann said...

Lori, The changes that you and Scott have made to the store are nothing short of amazing! Your fine eye and keen attention to detail in desinging the lovely vignettes bring so much sparkle to the store. I sure wish I wasn't stuck on the "other coast" or I would shop there!

You and Scott are a wonderful team. Wishing you much success as you continue to grow!

Hugs,
Annie

Alicia said...

Hi Lori, what a great job you and Scott have done! Wasn't that long ago that y'all were trying to decide what to do...and here you are...Looks like you've made the right decisions. Best of luck and keep blogging! Allicia

Unknown said...

You have all made my day....thank you so much!