Sunday, January 20, 2013

Put A Little Love In Your Heart ( And Community)

"
Think of your fellow man
Lend him a helping hand
Put a little love in your heart
You see it's getting late
Oh, please don't hesitate
Put a little love in your heart

And the world will be a better place
And the world will be a better place
For you and me
You just wait and see

Another day goes by
Still the children cry
Put a little love in your heart
If you want the world to know
We won't let hatred grow
Put a little love in your heart

And the world (and the world) will be a better place
All the world (all the world) will be a better place
For you (for you)
And me (and me)
You just wait (just wait)
And see, wait and see

Take a good look around
And if you're looking down
Put a little love in your heart
I hope when you decide
Kindness will be your guide
Put a little love in your heart

And the world (and the world) will be a better place
And the world (and the world) will be a better place
For you (for you)
And me (and me)
You just wait (just wait)
And see
----Jackie DeShannon, Jimmy Holiday, and Randy Myers


This past week saw an extreme change in our weather pattern.  We went from the coldest I've ever felt it here in Southern California back to warm and sunny just a couple days ago - but I'll tell you that was one long, cold spell we had!  It proved to me that we are so not acclimated to chilly temperatures, and Scott and I were overjoyed when the mercury topped 75 degrees in beautiful Altadena!

Just as our weather can change dramatically, so can our shopping habits.  In a post on our Facebook page this week, I posted an article from Retail's Big Blog that recounted former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan's recent speech at the Big Show in New York.  The gist of his speech was that retail just may end up being a core driver of employment in the future, if the global community begins to plan ahead for sustainability and focus on what he terms "the three pillars" of stable governments -  peace and stability, development, and rule of law and respect for human rights.  In short, and in my opinion, this equates to everyone adopting fair trade practices.

If we truly care about being responsible global citizens, and having a world economy that thrives, we must learn to cooperate.  Cooperation and fair trade practices start at the grass-roots level, in our own dealings in our communities.  Four years ago, I wrote a blog post called "The Meaning Of Think Global, Buy Local", in which I explained what happens when you shift your shopping.  We're still at it, doing what we can to be good global and community citizens.  Over the years, we've concentrated more on buying from hyper-local companies and community artists.  We love doing this, and we love being able to donate to community non-profits!

Our latest came yesterday, when Scott and I handed a check to the Christmas Tree Lane Association in the amount of $512.00!  See the Altadenablog article about it here.  We are so pleased that their merchandise sold so well this year, and want to thank our customers for buying so enthusiastically!  Keep it up, friends, you're contributing to a great cause!

We'll talk again next week - until then, have a great week!

Lori and Scott

4 comments:

Ann Erdman said...

The very first rock concert I went to was The Beatles in 1965 at Balboa Stadium in San Diego when I was 15. Jackie DeShannon opened for them. Every time I hear (or see) this song, it strikes up such a happy memory.

Unknown said...

You were lucky, Ann, how much fun it must have been! I remember my first concert, too, when I was about 12. My uncle took us kids to see Peter, Paul, and Mary, with Poco opening for them, in 1969. What a great era for music!

Thanks for stopping by, it's always a pleasure to "see" you!

Cafe Pasadena said...

Love tha Jackie DeShannon tune!

And, did I hear you say something about extreme weather changes, in Southern Cal? Remember - we have no seasons here!!

Unknown said...

lol....No seasons! My poor, leafless tree needs to know this.

Thanks for stopping by!