Sunday, October 23, 2011

An Open Letter To Our Crew Members

This was originally written by Cinda Baxter, the founder of The 3/50 Project, but she took the words right out of my mouth.  I wished I had written this, but nevertheless, it's a beautiful letter and one that I distributed this evening to our crew members during our quarterly meeting.  I think it says so much - and since I'm a store owner that believes in transparency, I'm sharing it with you.  Perhaps, if you're an employer, you can use it or parts of it to give to your own employees.  Perhaps you don't have any employees.  In that case, give it a read anyway - I think you'll find that the underlying notes of thankfulness and praise uplifting:


                           AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR CREW MEMBERS
 
Dear Crew Members,

Let’s face it – the past three years have been rough (more accurately, they’ve been like a blind-folded ride on an out-of-control roller coaster with questionable brakes and really screechy music).  You’ve probably seen my moods careen up and down a bit too, between customers, vendors, reps and inventory concerns (not to mention the nasty in-laws).  Sorry about that.  Some days, as the owner of a retail store, it’s hard not to blur a few lines.

This stuff is personal to me....which is why I want to share a few thoughts with you here.  When the store first opened, things were more predictable.  Sales had a natural ebb and flow at precise times of year, certain lines were practically bulletproof for us and customers enjoyed shopping.  I slept six hours each night, and paid invoices without holding my breath (most of the time, anyway).

But things changed when the market crashed.  Sale figures now ricochet like ping pong balls, vendors compete against us online and customers split hairs over 15 cents price differences.  Sleep is a far away dream; I practically turn blue when balancing the checkbook.

So yes, I've also changed with the times, examining every decision like it's the biggest one on earth, watching every penny like it's the last one on earth and relying on you like you're the last employees on earth.

Because to me, you are. You're the people I entrust my customers to, who are so near and dear to me.  And you're the reason we continue to paddle forward in these strange, unpredictable waters.  Which is why I appreciate you so much, even though sometimes, my focus on the bottom line masks that.
  •  I appreciate that you don't ask for an extra week of vacation afte rhaving taken two weeks this summer, aware that our customers need you.
  • I appreciate that you're honest and trustworthy, not putting friends' purchases on your employee discount.
  • I appreciate that when I occasionally flip out, you step back and give me space, confident that with a little time, the steam will stop billowing from my ears.
  • And I appreciate the fact that through all the insanity known as "life in retail", you remain upbeat and positive, making our customers feel at home.   
Sometimes, the necessary nuts and bolts feel a bit cold - signing off on the employee handbook, remembering to write down your hours - but that's what keeps the train on the tracks.  Each time you fulfill one of those boring handbook guidelines, it prevents stress on the business and everyone associated with it.


I know that on occasion, I harp about keeping things tidy, displays dusted, and holes filled....which might not be reflected by the catastrophe on my desk at any given time.


Housekeeping isn't exciting or fun, but customers notice.  If they pick up an item dulled by dust, they assume it's bad merchandise that nobody wants.  If there's a gaping hole on the shelf, it looks like we don't care, don't notice, or worse - can't afford to fill it.  If things get cluttered, we look like a bargain bin, which definitely isn't our goal.


And yes, sometimes, my methods might seem perplexing.  Why, for instance, does the list of four bodies scheduled for the Friday of Thanksgiving weekend have to include yours?  Why not someone else?  Simple.  Each of you lovely souls has a unique personality and skill set.  When I piece together schedules, those gifts are taken into consideration so the store has the balance it needs.  Given all the big box and Internet competition around the holidays, it's more important than ever that we provide the perfect combination of people so customers get the best experience possible.


In the end, my quirks and requests point in the same direction:  Keeping us upright, pleasant and profitable.  If one of those elements wobbles, everything does....and customers find somewhere else to shop.  Heaven knows, we don't want that, since it hurts everyone whose paycheck has our store name at the top.


Thanks for being the wonderful people I recognized during your interviews.  Thanks for remembering that I, too, am only human.  And thanks for your heartfelt desire to see the store thrive. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Your Employer


Have a great week ahead, friends, we'll talk next week!

Lori and Scott



No comments: